Friday, October 22, 2010

Soon we will be just a memory...

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2010

OUR FINAL DAY

Friday morning brought us together for our traditional breakfast before we embarked on our last day of classes. Everyone had a look of bittersweet anticipation. We are ready to go home, but we already miss our students, fellow volunteers, and the kind people of Poland. The experiences and memories we have will continue to increase our fondness of Poland as time goes on.

My heart ached as I entered each of my four classes at Spoleczna knowing this would be the last day with the kids I have come to love. The students, “my kids,” presented parties, gifts and speeches to relay their appreciation. Little do they realize that I am the one who is grateful to have been part of their lives.

At 6 p.m. we met for an abundant supper with the teachers and principals from the area schools. The Vice Govenor of Siedlce was present, as well as Dorota’s handsome husband, Chris, who joined us even though he had a cold.

The evening ended with Darlene, Rob, Pat and Ralph rallying for one last card game. I think the card sharks will miss each other and will all have some tall tales to tell in the future.

Soon we will be just a memory to the people and students of Poland. We have done what we were called to do. We have planted our seeds in the minds and hearts of the Polish people and they, in turn, have returned the gesture. We were given an opportunity to make a difference and I think we did.

Written by: Vickie Henige (Michigan)

0 comments: