Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 21, 2010


Thought for the Day: "The only constant is change!"

Fortunately, or unfortunately, according to your point of view, Friday arrived at around 4:45 a.m! The mourning doves were alive and messaging each other. A pig could be heard in the distance acknowledging the presence of Eos, the Goddess of Early Mornings. And down the road, a gentle breeze was using the pine forest as its method of announcing yet another day, a pleasant one to be sure, at our digs here at Reymontowka. The awesome foursome plus the” awesome-champion” Dorota, sat down again to break the nighttime fast with a delicious “start-of-the-day” meal. The Thursday journal was read to the assemblage and our respective journeys to school followed.

Immediately after lunch Dorota and I headed into Siedlce to meet up with my student Agnes for a shopping expedition. I was interested in finding a simple summer dress but most of the fashions seem to be for slim young things!! I felt it was good experience for Agnes… taking me into several shops and helping me look, convey my questions to the sales clerk, and then try on a few items.

Georgianna’s students were all in their places with bright, shiny faces and homework, too. She took advantage of the sunny, breezy afternoon to camp out on the back patio with logbooks and lesson plan books and succeeded not only in completing all of the Friday logs but also all of next weeks’ lesson plans for grade three, both groups. She had time to do a half-hour session with her Pimsleur Polish Lessons before a short walk along the fields. A grand day to start the weekend.

Mary Martin had another lovely day with sunshine and fair temperatures: "Since students at Spoleczna school portrayed Polish historical figures of the Baroque era, the 1700’s, on Wednesday, I followed up our Monday historical timelines – which compared Poland to the USA – by showing them the photos I took of them on Wednesday. My pint-size Acer notebook proves its worth as I carry it from class to class. Using the wh—information question stems (who, what, when, where, how, and why) I ask probing questions hoping to elicit significant historical information from them.

0 comments: