Tuesday, August 4, 2009

July 29, 2009

Thought for the day: Evil grows and bears fruit, which is understandable, because it has logic and probability on its side and also, of course, strength. The resistance of tiny kernels of good, to which no one grants the power of causing far-reaching consequences, is entirely mysterious, however. Such seeming nothingness not only lasts but contains within itself enormous energy which is revealed gradually.
-"If Only This Could Be Said" To Begin Where I Am: Selected Essays by Czesaw Milosz (2001) edited and translated by Bogdana Carpenter and Madeline G. Levine


We awoke to a rainy day, and arrived at Reymontowka for our usual breakfast. After breakfast, we discussed the schedule for the day, and also discussed the schedule for the remaining two days. While at breakfast I thought, where has the time gone these last two weeks? Although I will be eager to return home to be with my wife again after four weeks, I will certainly miss my fellow volunteers and the Polish students and staff at the camp.


After completing our classes, we all adjourned to the dining room to watch a movie with our students. Upon completion of the movie, guess what? It was time again to eat again, the highlight of the lunch being the chocolate brownies which Cindy had made for us and which were devoured in record time.


After lunch, most of us prepared for tomorrow’s class, and I met with my two Polish adult students for their afternoon English class. Upon returning to the manor after my class, my nose detected a familiar aroma which got my taste buds salivating. I couldn’t help it, but I had to go into the kitchen and investigate what smelled so wonderful. Eureka! I was right! My nose hadn’t deceived me as I savored the evening meal, zapiekanka, or what is affectionately called Polish pizza by me.


After dinner, we all met in the tent to enjoy the Polish talent show performed by our students and some of the Polish staff. We saw talents ranging from Waldek and Ula Cash, to magic tricks, singing, dancing, acrobatics and classical piano. I never cease to marvel and be amazed by the exceptional talent these Polish students possess.


After the talent show, we danced in the tent for a while and then proceeded to the dining room where we all enjoyed steak tartar, herring, and other fantastic Polish foods. It was an absolutely marvelous evening, as can be evidenced by the fact that I’m writing the remainder of this journal as the clock is quickly approaching midnight. What a great, fun day it was!


By Jim

0 comments: