Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Message of the Day by Michele: Everything we do in life has meaning.

The last few mild days of warm weather are slowly transitioning into definite signs of autumn, not only bringing with it the crisp air and ripe apples from the apple trees in the Reymontowka wood carving garden, but the energy and excitement that comes from the beginning of the new school year.
The morning breakfast meal once again offered us the chance to meet with good company and recap the events and first teaching day experiences.
Armed with the perspective from the first day experiences and introduction to the children we were teaching, we came supplied with more resource library materials. Marge, Molly and I headed over to the Spoleczna school where I was flattered to be approaching my classroom, and a few of the fourth grade students ran up to me, greeting me warmly, and wanted to hold my hand as we entered into the classroom.
I realize I’m fortunate to say all the students came with the excitement and curiosity of learning the material we covered, having a great time when singing songs, where even the more shy children came out of their shells. They were equally as excited to have the opportunity at the end of class to teach me the Polish words they wanted to hear me speak.
The children for the second class again greeted me with enthusiasm, and clearly spoke to the students of the first class to find out what they did, because they could not wait to get to the singing, which they knew was coming. They also would not let me get away without answering the same questions I had them answer, so they wanted to know what I like and do not like. For the record, My name is Mara and I do not like snakes or rats.
When class ended, I met with Molly and Marge for the walk over to our afternoon classes at the middle school at Siedlce, where we were joined by two Spoleczna middle school students who walked with us to the next school, wanting to carry tote bags and supplies we were bringing to our next school. Somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion that all the lovely teachers and school directors were behind this.
The afternoon classes of middle school students brought more energy and excitement, where we met more students who weren’t able to attend the first day due to the Polish Boy’s Day Holiday field trip. There were students there who reminded me of myself at that age, and felt honored when one student wanted to go into my profession and asked me a lot about the field and my opinions and impressions.
Upon returning, we again shared a memorable dinner with a group I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to meet. It turned out to be a great day, which I will gladly take, knowing it will come with highs and lows, but wanting to appreciate the positive along the way.
by Mara Noble

0 comments: